Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk advise

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 3750 switch that is full and FE0/2 is in do1q trunk to a 3550 which is also full apart from one port.

I have a 2960 and I want to add more vlans and extend some of the 3750 vlans to this, can I trunk off the 3550? Will the vlan tags from the 3750 to 3550 trunk extend through to this 3rd switch?

I am not using VTP server/client mode, currently both switches are in the default server mode.

Just wondered how you would appraoch this one?

4 Replies 4

serenity001
Level 1
Level 1

if you use VTP it will be easy task for u ..

configure the 3750 as a vtp server and the other switches as vtp clients..

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

first if u look to make the siwtch vlan conifg be done independently not thorugh server/client

then i would suggest u to make them in transparante mode first

then define the vlans on each switch

then add the trunk ports as required

then the vlans on L2 will span ur netwrk if u wanna make intervlan routing u can as well

good luck

if helpful Rate

This sounds siilar to my setup already, what is the difference from my mode (server default only) and tranparent mode?

Thanks

transperant mode mean the switch will not send or recieve valn update from other switches within the vtp domain onlly pass it

while server send the updates to clients and client only recieve from server

but when u have more than one switch in server mode the will be high possibilty to have problem because the switch in server mode with higher revesion number will send the update of vlan database and overwrite others in the same domain except those in transeparant

if u wanna see the revesion number

show vtp status

if u wanna rest the revesion number to 0

just renaim the vtp domain and get it back to the original name

if helpful Rate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card