cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to unstack two stacked 3750G switches

carringtonmc
Level 1
Level 1

I have two stacked 3750G switches. One is a 24 port, and the other is a 48 port. I was just wondering how to go about unstacking these switches. I appreciate the feedback.

3 Replies 3

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

First, make a backup of your current configuration. It is possible that you will lose some of your configuration (port speed/duplex/VLAN settings, etc) during this process.

Second, you can't do this without causing disruption to users, as reboots of your switches are needed.

Now - what you need to do is:

1) Disconnect the stackwise cables that connect the two switches together

2) Connect to each switch with the Cisco console cable, and use a terminal emulator (Hyperterminal, Tera Term Pro, etc) to get to the command line

3) Enter into global configuration mode (enter into enabled mode, then type "conf t")

4) On the 1st switch, type "no switch 2 provision" and hit return

5) On the 2nd switch, type "no switch 1 provision" and hit return

You will then need to change the IP address on one of the two switches. Then, reboot the switches.

The switches will operate then as normal, separate units. However, the ports on switch 2 will still be labelled "GigabitEthernet 2/0/1", and typing "show switch" will still show that switch is numbered switch 2 (even though there is no switch 1).

You can remedy this by using the "switch 2 renumber 1" command.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Graeme

Awesome. This is exactly what I needed. Thank you, Graeme.

julhim
Level 1
Level 1

Very helpful!!   I have very similar issue.   .....and indeed resolve the issue.   

Thank you graemeporter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card