cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN redundancy with Ethernet.

BeechLiam
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Remote Site with 2 2811 Routers, Each Router has a SDSL connection from different Providor(i.e. Different subnet range). Terminating to a Branch Office. I'm using static routing and HSRP tracking, but my question is if the Ethernet interface for each providor does not shut down, how will the HSRP take effect. Each Ethernet interface will be connected to a each SDSL modem. There may be an issue with the Providors line but Modem connection to the 2811 Router Ethernet interface may not go down.

4 Replies 4

mike_guy29
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As long as you have a certain version IOS you are able to do enhanced object tracking. This will let you track more than just the state of an interface e.g. instead you could track if a route was present for example.

Please see the link below for detailed information.

Thanks

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/fthsrptk.html

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply & advise

My problem here, is that the only way for the route tracking to work , is if the Gateway (route) is unavailable. But if there is a problem on the ISP's network The ISP's Gateway (SDSL Router) may still be reachable, as it is just a connection from my routers interface to the ISP router. I'm wondering is there a way to track the IPSEC Peer instead ,thereby if the peer is unreachable the HSRP will flip.

Hi,

I see sorry. I haven't read through this article properly so apologies if it doesn't cover what I say it does.

But I believe you can also (again IOS version dependant) track ICMP availability. E.g. can I ping www.cisco.com? If yes its up if not fail over. You can configure timers etc. Obviously this adds a slight overhead in terms of traffic.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t4/feature/guide/gtfhrp.html

The other way I believe you could go about it is configuring the two routers with IPsec High availability and detect the dead peers with DPD. I don't have any config etc to hand I am afraid but a search on IPsec High Availability may turn something up.

Thanks

I ended up using GRE tunnel with ipsec and Keepalive configuration to resolve this issue. We were aloud to pass EIGRP updates by using GRE tunneling to encapsulate the packet to pass through the Firewalls for this Dual tunnel.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: