cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Performance Data on MAP's and RAP's

neillgray
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone please tell me, as a rule of thumb, the bandwidth reduction in TCP/IP experienced the further the Client moves away from an Access Point on a Cisco Mesh Network?.

We have Mobile Clients on a non Cisco outdoor Wireless Mesh Network and at the present time between the AP and 750m I am getting a full 6Mbps, at 1.5km I am receiving just 3Mbps, and at 3km I am receiving 1.5Mbps.

As our core network is Cisco, I would be interested in knowing the performance of the Cisco Mesh Network (AP) and whether the performance would be significant enough to replace the existing network

Thanks in advance for your input.

1 Reply 1

amritpatek
Level 6
Level 6

This is the rate at which data is shared between the mesh access points. This is fixed for a whole network.

Default data rate is 18 Mbps, which you should use for the backhaul.

Valid data rates:

for 802.11a: 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54

But make sure that NEVER change the data rate for a deployed mesh networking solution. If you do, each RAP and PAP may need to be manually reconfigured to restore the network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card