Views
Helpful
Replies

1252 power/ fire codes

ihouse205
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day,

Although fire codes vary from municipality to municipality, I'd like to present this question for general consideration/comment.

We are considering an installation of 1252(n)APs using poe. The plan is to use existing hard plenum cable that presently serves wired ports.

So while the cable and AP are both plenum rated, I'm wondering if anyone has encountered fire codes that regulate electrical transmission over unshielded twisted cable in confined space.

If you have done an installation and know that fire codes were not an issue I'd like to hear that as well (maybe even more).

Thank You

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In Chicago... especially in the downtown area, everything has to be in conduit. The ap's and antenna leads need to be in an enclosure or else below the ceiling. In other states like in Washington, Indiana and Florida you can have the 1252 mounted above the ceiling and cable can be mounted in a tray. Elevator shafts and stairwells is a differrent beast though... that you will have to find out directly from the fire marshall.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card