Level 1
Level 1

What is new in CallManager 7?

12 Replies 12

MARTIN STREULE
Spotlight
Spotlight

Best source is the release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/7_0_1/cucm-rel_notes-701.pdf

In the chapter "Cisco Unified Communications Manager Features and Applications" you find the new stuff.

/Martin

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Justin,

Just to add some other info to the good tips from Martin. (+5 points for this Martin :)

Here are some of the "highlights" that I can see;

When you reinstall or restore data to a first node in a cluster, you no longer need to reinstall the subsequent nodes in the cluster.

The Apply a Patch option of the installation program now supports applying full patch ISO upgrade patch file, in addition to the previously supported ES and SU patch types.

Busy Lamp Field Pickup

**•Call Forward All Loop Prevention and Breakout

•Calling Party Normalization

•Cisco Emergency Responder Location Management Support in Application Server Configuration Window

•Cisco Extension Mobility Feature Safe

•Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console Support in 7.0

•Cisco Unified IP Phone Expansion Module 7915 and 7916 Support

•Cisco Unified Mobility-Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator

•Cisco Unified Mobility-Dial-via-Office Reverse Callback

•Cisco Unified Mobility-Directed Call Park via DTMF

•Cisco Unified Mobility-SIP URI Dialing

•Cisco Unified Mobility-Time-of-Day (ToD) Access

•Cisco Click-to-Conference Plug-In with IBM SameTime

•Directed Call Pickup

•Do Not Disturb Call Reject

•G.Clear Codec Support

•G.729a and G.729b Codecs Over SIP Trunks

•Enhanced IP Phone Services

•International Escape Character + Support

•Local Route Groups

•Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Active Directory (AD) Support for LDAP Synchronization

•Non-Urgent Translation Patterns

•Privacy Headers for SIP Trunks

•SIP Support for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Features

•SIP T.38 Interoperability with Microsoft Exchange

•Trusted Relay Points

**•Cisco VG202 and VG204 Gateway Support in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration

•Voice over Secure IP for SIP Trunks

-Multilevel Precedence and Preemption Enhancements

....continued on next page.

....from previous page.

Cisco Extension Mobility (EM) equivalency eliminates the phone-model dependency of phone button templates. The following factors determine the model equivalency among the various phones:

•Various features that the phone models support

•Number of buttons that the phone models support

EM equivalency includes the following support feature for the Cisco Unified IP Phones:

•Feature Safe on Phone Button Template-Phones can use any phone button template that has the same number of line buttons that the phone model supports.

Release 7.0(1) of Cisco Unified Communications Manager enhances the existing Extension Mobility (EM) equivalency mechanism. The equivalency enhancement works across phone types as follows:

•7940 SCCP, 7941 SCCP, 7942 SCCP, and 7945 SCCP models, which are equivalent, can share an EM profile.

•7940 SIP, 7941 SIP, 7942 SIP, and 7945 SIP models, which are equivalent, can share an EM profile.

•7960 SCCP and 7961 SCCP models, which are equivalent, can share an EM profile.

•7962 SCCP and 7965 SCCP models, which are equivalent, can share an EM profile.

•7960 SIP, 7961 SIP, 7962 SIP, and 7965 SIP models, which are equivalent, can share an EM profile.

•7970 SCCP and 7971 SCCP models, which are equivalent, can share an EM profile.

•7970 SIP, 7971 SIP, and 7975 SIP models, which are equivalent, can share an EM profile.

The enhancement works for all phone models that are equivalent and requires no administration tasks to activate.

Directed Call Pickup

The Directed Call Pickup feature allows a user to pick up a ringing call on a directory number (DN) directly by pressing the GPickUp softkey and entering the directory number of the device that is ringing. Cisco Unified Communications Manager uses the associated group mechanism to control the privilege of a user who wants to pick up an incoming call by using Directed Call Pickup. The associated group of a user specifies one or more call pickup groups that have been associated to the pickup group to which the user belongs.

Import and Export Enhancements for the Bulk Administration Tool

The Import/Export tool in BAT includes new updates to support the export of Cisco Unified Communications Manager configuration details. It also has a new feature to validate .tar import files.

Backup of CAR Database

The CAR and CDR Disaster Recovery Service (DRS) now integrates into the Disaster Recovery System (DRS). The DRS includes the backup of the CAR database, pregenerated reports, and the CDR preserved flat files.

Call Forward All Loop Breakout and Prevention

Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.0(1) introduces enhancements for the following Call Forward All features:

•Call Forward All Loop Prevention-Prevents the end-user from configuring a Call Forward All destination on the phone that will create a Call Forward All loop or that will create a forward chain with more hops than the existing Forward Maximum Hop Count service parameter allows.

•Call Forward All Loop Breakout-Detects and breaks Call Forward All loops, which allows the call to ring on the phone that would have closed the loop. Prior to this release, the call got cleared if a Call Forward All loop was detected through the Forward Maximum Hop Count service parameter.

Parallel Upgrades from Unified CM Releases 5.x and 6.x to Unified CM Release 7.0(1)

When you upgrade a cluster running a supported version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager 5.x or 6.x to Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.0(1), begin upgrading the first node first. You can begin upgrading subsequent nodes in parallel after the first node has reached a specified point in the upgrade.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/7_0_1/cucm-rel_notes-701.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Probably the coolest new feature is local route groups. This essentially will allow you to use "shared" route patterns for remote sites to route to thier respective gateways. Will really simplify the dialplan for large, multisite implementations.

Jason

E.164 is also pretty important for MS integrations.

yes.. i try out the ocs integration with cm7 but it seems like when doing transformation pattern, i can't insert + sign. Ignoring it will still works.

opps, i realize it don't works.. after i reset the trunk just now, therefore it's not ignoring the + sign , need to play around a bit more..

but i can confirm ocs integration with cm7 works..

Hi,

i like to know if even in CCM7 we need to use the Presense server to do integrations with OCS.

Because i saw a microsoft document

Cisco

Unified Communications Manager 7.x

Dual Forking with RCC

Q3, 2008

I need to know how this work?

Regards.

I can't wait to see the new local route groups... I have the beta copy on my desk, but I have been too busy to install it! Maybe this week!

Chad

yeah I love the new local route groups, basically you just need one CSS for each CoS/CoR and one route pattern for each pattern instead of doing the same RP for each site.

only time you need a bunch of patterns is for TBP/TeHO or specific route filters

Guys,

A quick comment on local route groups, it is indeed useful in some situations, not all.

Please take a look at this post for some comments:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.2cc21371/0#selected_message

so, realistcally the feature is great for a customer with mutliple small location with single PRI, and simple dial plan, how many of those do you have?

My only advise is to evaluate the feature to ensure it is going to benefit your customer.

HTH,

Chris

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

there is also an important one to note:

Open Systems: Broadens our interoperability standards foundation by adding SIP support to even more line side features, trunks and endpoint devices. Includes 'click to conference” with IBM Sametime and remote destination for Microsoft Office Communicator for MobileConnect (simultaneous ring feature).

Faster initialization times A 25,000 phone system using Unified CM 6.x database lookup took 18 minutes to initialize. Using IMDB, system was available in 3 minutes

Improved system scalability

500 locations/region limit removed

Less trace output (fewer SDL messages)

Less Memory usage

BAT has been improved

DRS is now faster and smaller files

new Intelligent Bridge

Some goofy new "Secure Tone" that lets each caller know (between IP phones) that the call is now secured.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: