cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6006 and FAN error

sfanayei
Level 1
Level 1

I am running a Cisco 6006 with msfc module. I get these error messages "%SYS-2-FAN_NFAIL:Fan 1 failed" than "%SYS-2-FAN_NOK:Fan 1 okay". How this error affects my switch? And shall I change fan tray?

Tanks in advance!

Sfanayei

6 Replies 6

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Sfanayei, [Pls RATE if HELPS]

1. %SYS-2-FAN_NFAIL: Fan [dec] failed

This message indicates that a fan tray has failed.

Recommended Action: Replace the fan tray.

2. %SYS-2-FAN_NOK: Fan [dec] okay

This message indicates that the chassis fan tray was plugged back in or returned to a proper state.

Recommended Action: No action is necessary. This message is provided for information only.

Hope I am informative.

Pls RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi

Tanks for your reply. I know what those massages means, But i get those massages at same time. The switch changs between to massages. Is fan ok or not?

Tanks again.

HI sfanayei, [Pls RATE if HELPS]

Take a down-time to Un-plug & Re-plug the FAN Tray and Ensure the FAN Tray is exactly placed.

Wait for the next re-occurance of ERROR before changing the FAN Tray itself. As the FAN Services are not CRITICAL.

Hope I am Informative.

PLS RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

More than likely the fan tray is on its way out , we see this all the time on our older Cat 4006's where its says fan failed then fan ok . The tray is going . Its not the whole tray either, whatever sensor they are using is sensitive enough to know when a single fan in the whole fan tray is gone and it will give you those messages . You almost always can tell which fan it is in the tray too because it will not spin nearly as freely as the others in the tray . That being said I would replace it . Fan services are CRITICAL if you have it in a closet where the air is not conditioned .

Hi tanks for your reply.

Is it hot plug or I have to turn off for the system to check out?

Sfanayei

HI Sfanayei, [Pls RATE all Informative POST]

They are hot plug / play as per 4000 Series.

Caution:

Never operate the system for an extended period if the fan assembly is removed or if it is not functioning properly. An overtemperature condition can cause severe equipment damage.

When removing the fan tray, keep your hands and fingers away from the spinning fan blades. Let the fan blades completely stop before you remove the fan tray.

Grasp the fan assembly with both hands and pull it outward; wiggle it, if necessary, to unseat it from the backplane. Slide the fan assembly completely out of the chassis and place it in a safe place.

Pls RATE all Informative POST.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: