cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless clients dropping off network when no traffic is passed

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, I have a setup whereas I have multiple workgroup bridges with a small switch connected to the ap with 3 pc's on each, these wgb's then associate to an access point. It seems that the connection does not stay alive between them unless we ping the wgb's.

Is there a reason and fix for this?

cheers

5 Replies 5

amritpatek
Level 6
Level 6

The access point to which a workgroup bridge associates can treat the workgroup bridge as an infrastructure device or as a simple client device. By default, access points and bridges treat workgroup bridges as client devices.

You can configure access points and bridges to treat workgroup bridges not as client devices but as infrastructure devices, like access points or bridges. Treating a workgroup bridge as an infrastructure device means that the access point reliably delivers multicast packets, including Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) packets, to the workgroup bridge. You use the infrastructure-client configuration interface command to configure access points and bridges to treat workgroup bridges as infrastructure devices.

hi there

how do i do this via the gui ?

cheers

Carl

wesleyterry
Level 3
Level 3

Is the AP controller based, or autonomous?

If autonomous you can just ignore this post....

If LWAPP, What is the value of your "session timeout" for the WLAN?

I had this problem with some thin clients doing RDP sessions, if the screen was idle, no packets were sent and therefor the connection went idle...

I know we now have a simple network monitor watching these clients (so they ping regularly), but I think the Session Timeout variable was partially to blame.

If there is any corelation between the session timeout length and the time it takes your clients to drop, then I'd say they are related.... But I may be confusing this with a different problem...

Hi

The access points are autonomous, anything I can do at all to fix this ?

The command is ran in the gui. here is the link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_11_JA/command/reference/cr11main.html#wp2455938

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card