cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP Upgrade Tool HELP

dbuttry
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if I can pass parameters to the Upgrade tool so I don't have to type in the same information every time I run it? Especially since you have to close and re-run it each time due to Cisco documented memory leaks!! I have 300 1120s to convert so any tips would be much appreciated.

5 Replies 5

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Do you have the most recent version of the upgrade tool? I'm pretty sure that it no longer needs to be reset after each run. Even then, you can run all 300 access points in a single run, so you shouldn't need to repeat the process for every single AP.

To answer your question, I do not know of any way to pass parameters in externally.

Latest version is v3.4. Release Date: 24/Apr/2008

This is from the release notes:

The LWAPP upgrade tool does not release Windows operating system memory resources when the upgrade process is complete. Memory resources are released only after you exit the upgrade tool. If you upgrade several batches of access points, you must exit the tool in between batches to release memory resources. If you do not exit the tool in between batches, performance of the upgrade station quickly degrades because of excessive memory consumption.

The upgrade tool can handle up to 6 access points at one time.

Oh, so they still recommend it. I thought you were using an old version that used to actually close at the end of each session. That was version 1.x I think.

You can do 6 access points simultaneously, but you can still give it 300 to do in a single run. Your text file just needs to list all access points. So it will do 6 at a time, and when each one is done it will move on to the next one on your list.

Hopefully that makes sense - the point is that regardless of how many you do at once (1-6), it will sequentially upgrade each access point in your IP file until all 300 are done.

sanamon
Level 1
Level 1

You don't have WCS? Using WCS is the easiest way to upgrade... (and manage your 300 APs afterwards)

WCS seems to migrate my 1131s 100% but I have had less than 10% success migrating 1120s with WCS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card