cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Netflow on 3750E Switch

tffmaguire
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know of any plans to incorporate NetFlow capability on a Cisco 3750 (E) type switch. ?

I love this feature on typical routers or high end switches, but does not seem to be an option on the 3750E series.

I'm currently running 12.2(35)SE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1).

I raised this question about a year ago with Cisco directly. They thought it might be available in a future release. I ask again as it was mentioned in a cisco brochure for the following switches to meet PCI compliance.

Cisco Catalyst 3750, 4500, 6500 and

2900 Series Switches.

Thanks for any help.

Tom Maguire

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Due to Hardware limitation, I don't see this being incorporated in the 3750/3560 line.

These switches are targeted for the access-layer and a that layer, you don't need to examine Layer3 traffic. That's usually done at the aggregation layer.

A software release won't incorporate NetFlow into these switches as NetFlow supported switches is done in hardware to avoid overloading the CPU.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Due to Hardware limitation, I don't see this being incorporated in the 3750/3560 line.

These switches are targeted for the access-layer and a that layer, you don't need to examine Layer3 traffic. That's usually done at the aggregation layer.

A software release won't incorporate NetFlow into these switches as NetFlow supported switches is done in hardware to avoid overloading the CPU.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison. You confirmed my thoughts. I like the low cost layer 3 capabilities of the 3750 and was hoping for an IOS miracle :)

Take care.

Tom

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card