Views
Helpful
Replies

More VLAN questions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ok,

I have a 3745 router that is connected to a 3750 l3 switch. I noticed today that the address that I'm wanting to move to a L3 SVI is the primary address on BOTH devices: 192.168.1.2 (3745) and 192.168.1.5 (3750).

My initial thought is that once I remove from the 3745 and then place it on the SVI, the router will no longer show it as a connected interface (unless I create a subinterface?). Or am I completely wrong? Should I be able to see the address on the 3750 no matter if it's on VLAN1 or 200?

What's the workaround for this? Should I come up with a new primary address, or can I run off of secondary addresses only (don't think I can, but I've never tried)?

Thanks!

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The route will still show as connected.

The 3745 will connect to a Layer2 port but this port is a member of the Layer3 SVI so on both devices' routing table, it should show as 'connected' route.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison,

Even if the port that connects the switch to the router is a switched, and not routed, port? Once I move the address off of the VLAN1 SVI to the VLAN125 SVI, do I need to do anything special for the F0/0 on the 3745 to see the address, or will the existing trunked port be enough? (I think I just answered my own question.)

--John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

(I think I just answered my own question.)

Funny, isn't it?

Good luck

HTH,

__

Edison.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card