Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade ASA 5505

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am reading through the ASA 8.x release notes for a potential upgrade. Currently, a device is running OS 7.22 and ASDM 5.22. It has 256DRAM and 128 MB flash. I think the confusing area is the amount of flash I need. I keep reading I need to get 256 or 512 MB compact flash for the device. Is this something I need to do? If so, what version of software for an ASA should I used for the configuration I already have?

Thanks

Dwane

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dwane-

The flash for ASA5505 is 'on board' and as far as I know it can't be upgraded. You might be able to use a USB drive, but I don't think they are officially supported yet. Anyway, the 128MB of flash is more than enough. I'm running 8.02 and its just over 14MB, so there is plenty of room in flash.

Hope that helps.

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dwane,

Looking through the release notes for 8.0, looks like 128MB Flash and 256MB RAM should be more than sufficient to run 8.0 code on the ASA.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/release/notes/asarn80.html#wp37821

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

HolznerA2006
Level 1
Level 1

Dwane,

5505 Flash is a standard compact flash card. You can copy the contents to a larger card and use e.g. for intensive logging to the flash. (like 1GB CF Card from Kingston)

Memory is standard PC-DDR module, I know that 512MB runs without troubles (depending on the manufacturer, e.g. Kingston). More than 512MB can raise troubles like not full recognized size. Check memory timings (cl3) and speed (pcxxx).

Best regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card