Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE: Active-Active

s.srivas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Could I have information on the followings, please.

1/

Can two ACE modules in two chassis process the same traffic in Active-Active mode (load sharing)?

2/

Can four ACE modules in two chassis process the same traffic, two in active-active mode, other two in stanby-standby mode.

In both cases only one 9admin) context is planned.

Thanks in Advance.

Sinnathurai

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not the same traffic.

You can have 2 active contexts, one on each module.

But because these are different contexts, they must use different virtual ip addresses.

It's the only way to have active-active.

You could have a sort of active-active by not configuring high availability but by using Route Health Injection.

In this case, the 2 blades are independent and they both inject a route for the virtual ip address into your network via a routing protocol.

Traffic is then sent to the 2 blades depending on how your upstream router is configured in presence of 2 routes for the same destination.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

Currently you can have only 1 backup.

I think there are plans to have multiple backup in the future but I don't have a date.

I think this is low prioritiy.

Routing is always on.

As long as the traffic is allowed in an access-group on the interface, it will be routed.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not the same traffic.

You can have 2 active contexts, one on each module.

But because these are different contexts, they must use different virtual ip addresses.

It's the only way to have active-active.

You could have a sort of active-active by not configuring high availability but by using Route Health Injection.

In this case, the 2 blades are independent and they both inject a route for the virtual ip address into your network via a routing protocol.

Traffic is then sent to the 2 blades depending on how your upstream router is configured in presence of 2 routes for the same destination.

Gilles.

Thanks Giles.

I have a further situation to consider.

ACE1 & ACE2 in chassis 1

ACE3 & ACE4 in chassis 2

Context-1 active in ACE1. Can ACE2, ACE3 and ACE 4 be the backup (in some order) of ACE1 for context-1?

Similarly others will be made master's for other contexts.

Ultimately four ACE modules should have the abliity to do everything, but in normal operation they are masters of their own contexts. Is this a possiblility? (With 4 modules, instead of two modules)

Additionally, can normal routing capabilities be enabled in ACE, while doing loadbalancing and SSL termination/initiation?

Thankyou

Si

Currently you can have only 1 backup.

I think there are plans to have multiple backup in the future but I don't have a date.

I think this is low prioritiy.

Routing is always on.

As long as the traffic is allowed in an access-group on the interface, it will be routed.

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: