Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1700 Boot Problem

oliver.dujua
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Im getting some funky characters when booting my Cisco 1750.

€˜€æ€˜€æ€˜À€˜€æ€˜€æ€˜€æ€€˜€æ€˜€æ€ø

Anybody know what's going on?

My router does not boot to the IOS. Last command I gave it was confreg 0x0120

HELP!

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Oliver

Strange characters like that are typically a symptom of a speed mismatch with the speed of the console port set to something that is different from the speed of the terminal emulator. I would suggest that you try the different speeds starting from 1200 and working your way up through the available speeds and see if one works. Be aware that with some emulators (especially Hyperterm) you need to stop and start the emulator every time that you change the speed.

If the last command was a confreg, I wonder if there might have been a typo mistake (or perhaps leaving off the 0x) which could have set a different speed.

And if the last digit of the value is a 0 then it instructs the router to boot to rommon rather than booting into IOS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick. I managed to get the correct speed which is 4800. However I still cannot get out of the bad file magic number 0x0. Whenever I reboot the router, I have to go through all the ROMMON procedures again.

Oliver

When you do show version, what does it say is the value of the config register? If the last digit is 0 that would explain why it is going into rommon. Change the config register so that the last digit is 2 and I believe that it will solve your issue with going into rommon.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Got the Router to work. I downloaded a working IOS via TFTP.

This is the link I used. Can't recall where I got this but it works.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bf9e.shtml

Thanks Rick!

Oliver

Oliver

I am glad that you got it working. Thanks for posting back to the thread and indicating that it was solved and what you did to solve it.

I had not realized that the problem was a bad image. But in that case the tftpdnld is a very helpful tool.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card