Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.0 Dial Plan with Local Route Groups

jarsenault
Level 1
Level 1

Smart IPT Guys…

I am working on designing CUCM 7.0 for customer and wanted to start a conversation on how to build Partitions / Route Patterns using Local Route Groups. For starters let's assume all locations are in the domestic US. Let's also assume we are building COS using Cisco's Line / Device.

At first glance it seems pretty straight forward, put all the “PSTN” route patterns into a single “PSTN” partition that is used by every location and point these Route Patterns to a Route List that is configured to use “Use Local Route Group”.

But what happens with locations that use / require a combination of 7 and 10 digit dialing (like the Minneapolis / St. Paul metro area). It seems that the benefits of using a local route group are somewhat diminished in this scenario.

One solution I can think of is going with a “Hybrid” approach. So for all locations put the following in the “US-PSTN” Partition with the RL configured to use “Use Local Route Group”

9.1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx

9.011!

9.011!#

9.[2-8]xx

And then for a location in say Minneapolis MN put the following in the traditional “<SiteCode>-PSTN” partition.

9.612[2-9]xxxxxx

9.763[2-9]xxxxxx

9.651[2-9]xxxxxx

9.952[2-9]xxxxxx

9.[2-9]xxxxxx

Then for a location that only allows 10-digit dialing for local calls put the following in the traditional “<SiteCode>-PSTN” partition.

9.[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx

Sure we could simplify the administration and force all users to dial 10 digits. We then build 9.[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx in the same US-PSTN partition. But that would the user experience at some locations.

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

/John

1 Reply 1

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John,

You are absolutely correct, the local route group feature comes with caveats and may not be feasible to all designs. For starters you can only have one Local Route Group, meaning one route group per site, so if you needed seperate Trunks for Local and LD you are out of luck, the caveat list gets longer as more complex requirments are needed, your example is another one. Your design as right on, and as good as it will get.

HTH,

Chris