Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS on a 3750 Switch

blittrell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I just wanted to see if this is even possible.

I have a 3750 switch as the main switch at each of my outlying sites. They connect to the core via 100Mbs fiber, at the Core is a 4507 switch.

On the 3750 I have 4 vlans, Guest, management, users and phone. I want to configure QOS such that all but the phone vlan share 90 Mbs and leave a nice fat pipe for Phones at 10Mbs.

As far as I know policing will not work in the outbound direction on the 3750 so that leaves me with trying to figure out how to get 3 vlan interfaces to share 90% of the bandwidth. What I have now is 45Mbs to user, 40Mbs to management and 1Mbs to guest. If possible I would like the management, user and guest to share 90Mbs so I don't have to police them to half the bandwidth to ensure the phone bandwidth.

At this point I am thinking it can not be done, anyone care to set me straight on this?

Thanks

Brett

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brett

The 3750 uses SRR on both the ingress and egress queues. On the egress queues SRR can use either shared mode or shaped mode.

Shaped mode allows you to allocate a bandwidth to each of the 4 egress queues and these queues are then rate-limited. However it is important to note that if one of the queues is not being fully used that spare bandwidth cannot be used by another queue. With shared mode you can.

So you can rate-limit traffic on egress ports with the above provisos.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_40_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1200681

Jon

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brett

The 3750 uses SRR on both the ingress and egress queues. On the egress queues SRR can use either shared mode or shaped mode.

Shaped mode allows you to allocate a bandwidth to each of the 4 egress queues and these queues are then rate-limited. However it is important to note that if one of the queues is not being fully used that spare bandwidth cannot be used by another queue. With shared mode you can.

So you can rate-limit traffic on egress ports with the above provisos.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_40_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1200681

Jon

Great thanks for the info, that is just what I was looking for!!

Ok, this may be a stupid question be when I enter the weights and do a ? it shows 1-255, is this just because it is a 1 byte value? From reading the docs it sounds like weights are a percentage of the bandwidth, of course anything over a 100 would not make sense, just wondering if this is just a caveat or do I need to do a percentage of the bandwidth I want from 255 and enter that?

Thanks, I am slowly getting this QoS:)

Brett

It's not an absolute value. One thing i forgot to mention is that you can use shaped and shared mode on the same port so in your case you could either specify all the weights or just the weight for the VOIP.

From link provided

Switch(config-if)# srr-queue bandwidth shape 8 0 0 0

This example shows how to configure bandwidth shaping on queue 1. Because the weight ratios for queues 2, 3, and 4 are set to 0, these queues operate in shared mode. The bandwidth weight for queue 1 is 1/8, which is 12.5 percent.

Does this make sense ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

That makes sense up to the weight, so all weights are defined as 1/weight=bandwidth? So a weight of 1 is 100% bandwidth?

Thanks for putting up with the ignorance:)

Thanks

schmij01
Level 1
Level 1

If you mark the phone traffic accordingly, you can also just enable priority queuing, which will always give the priority queue the bandwidth it needs, and would allow the other traffic to use all the leftover bandwidth.

Thanks for the info, that is the next thing to tackle, trying to take baby steps:) I think all the tagging is correct so once I verify I that I did not just hose the switch and it is working as advertised I will plop on the priority queue as well:)

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card