cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6506 Sup720 connectivity problem with 3500XL and 2950G

kpap
Level 1
Level 1

Recently I upgrade one catalyst switch 6506 with 2xSUP720 and 2x WS-X6724-SFP with LH SFP modules .

The problem is when disconnecting the optical links with the 3500XL and 2950G that was previously connected to the 6506 via an old WS-X6416-GBIC card with GBIC LH modules and connecting them to the new WS-X6724-SFP card there is no link between them .

Both the old ports on the WS-X6416-GBIC and new ones on the WS-X6724-SFP have the same trunk configuration and encapsulation.

Any help ?

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I assume that you tried reversing the fiber pairs . The new fiber module came up ok when inserted ? If its a different module did you clear the config on that module when you inserted the new card and reconfigure it ? Besides that not sure what else it would be

Of course I try to reverse the fiber pairs first, the weird about this is that the old GBIC WS-G5486 can communicate but the new SFP 1000BASE-LX/LH don't.

Hello Constantino,

you are using also new fibers because SFP have smaller connectors LC not SC as the GBIC.

have you verified if these fibers are single mode ?

Or it is the same type of other fibers you are already using : joining MM with SM cables can be a problem.

GBIC WS-G5486

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7200/install_and_upgrade/gbic_sfp_modules_install/5067g.html#wp54251

Sorry for the basic question but this is something to be checked

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card