cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6506 Sup720 connectivity problem with 3500XL and 2950G

kpap
Level 1
Level 1

Recently I upgrade one catalyst switch 6506 with 2xSUP720 and 2x WS-X6724-SFP with LH SFP modules .

The problem is when disconnecting the optical links with the 3500XL and 2950G that was previously connected to the 6506 via an old WS-X6416-GBIC card with GBIC LH modules and connecting them to the new WS-X6724-SFP card there is no link between them .

Both the old ports on the WS-X6416-GBIC and new ones on the WS-X6724-SFP have the same trunk configuration and encapsulation.

Any help ?

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I assume that you tried reversing the fiber pairs . The new fiber module came up ok when inserted ? If its a different module did you clear the config on that module when you inserted the new card and reconfigure it ? Besides that not sure what else it would be

Of course I try to reverse the fiber pairs first, the weird about this is that the old GBIC WS-G5486 can communicate but the new SFP 1000BASE-LX/LH don't.

Hello Constantino,

you are using also new fibers because SFP have smaller connectors LC not SC as the GBIC.

have you verified if these fibers are single mode ?

Or it is the same type of other fibers you are already using : joining MM with SM cables can be a problem.

GBIC WS-G5486

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7200/install_and_upgrade/gbic_sfp_modules_install/5067g.html#wp54251

Sorry for the basic question but this is something to be checked

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card