cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS - syslog

sam_manay
Level 1
Level 1

I am implementing WCS (LightWeight Access Point) and plan to point the log to external log using linux box syslog (Fedora). Is it possible? because have been trying a couple days ago seemingly is not able to log to external log. Note: my current syslog server (linux box) is able to log from PIX, FWSM, (flat) Access Point, and Switches as well

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WCS can't log to a syslog server, you configure the syslog server ip on the wlc.

Per Cisco doc:

Logging

Use Administration > Logging to access the Administer Logging Options page. This logging function is only related to WCS logging and not syslog information. The logging for controller syslog information can be done on the Controller > Management > Syslog window.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I configured syslog on WCS already.

-set logging type of logging,set informational -set destination IP of syslog server (external syslog-linux box) on each controllers as well.

But still not working.

My question is wcs can log to external syslog server using linux box syslog server?

FYI, my other cisco box (PIX, Switch, FWSM) can log to the same linux syslog server.

Many thanks for kind reply.

I only have syslog on the WLC. As the doc mentions with WCS, it doesn't log to any syslog servers. You can always try to download Kiwi syslog which is free and install it on your PC to see if that works.... don't see why it wouldn't work on the linux unless you have something blocking it.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Just want to know whether any issue in the past-from other customer that WCS couldn't log to linux external syslog? I read also some cisco doc. If using the cisco box (Pix,Switch/Router,FWSM) there would be CLI config. does it make sense also since wcs doesn't have CLI to enable syslog? Thanks

Look, as was posted allready, You don't enable logging to syslog on WCS, you do it on the controllers.

So, yes it's possible to get syslog to external syslog server.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card