cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Configuration on router

durga_suji
Level 1
Level 1

1. I want to know when there is a multilink, do we need to configure the ip pim sparse-mode command on multilink also or just the 2 serial links?

2. Also, if there is a sub-interface s0.1 used for wan links, shall we configure the ip pim sparse-mode command there also, or not needed?

thankss..

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Srinath,

1) on the multilink interface is needed is the only interface with a L3 config I don't think on member links is effective (they have "no ip address")

2) yes, again the subinterface has the L3 config and the physical interface shouldn't have ip address in most scenarios

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

thanks for the quick reply..

to be on the safer sife, is it okay to configure the ip pim sparse-mode on both physical interface and logical interface(multilink and sub-interface? or not needed?

srinath

Hello Srinath,

it is only needed on the subinterface and on the multilink because they are the only ones to understand what ipv4 multicast is and to handle IP packets.

I think that adding the command to the physical interface is really not needed.

You can add the command to the member links just to help read the configuration and as a safety measure for some cases where you need tochange the switching mode (if you need to disable CEF for troubleshooting)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

thanks very much!!

srinath

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card