Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing problem, ping works - telnet not

Dear all,

I have a PC in VLAN 242, VLAN 242(management server vlan) is only routed on firewall. The Switch/Router Management should routed in firewall too, to prevent that users can connect to the router e.g. . Router management is in VLAN 2. On the router i make policy based routing. So all traffic from the ip range 10.1.2.0 /24 (VLAN2) go to Firewall.

I checked with ping and traceroute everything "goes" like i want. when i make a telnet it is not working.

I change the firewall and take a router. it is not working too.

Have anyone an idea...I don't know why this works so strange...

konfig:

Router or Firewall. on switch inter-vlan routing

DF 10.1.242.20

DF 10.1.2.20

On switch-L3 or router which i want manage.

route-map routing_management, permit, sequence 10

Match clauses:

ip address (access-lists): tt

Set clauses:

ip next-hop 10.1.2.20

Policy routing matches: 7116 packets, 665966 bytes

SW-10#

Extended IP access list tt

10 permit ip 10.1.2.0 0.0.0.255 any (596 matches)

PS: i could do the management server in the same subnet, but for other locations which i manage from this server i have the same problem.

And when i don't use policy-based routing, the Switch-L3/router would use this default gateway and the firewall would say "spoofing" wrong ip on this interface..

thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sebastian,

cisco routers and switches allow to use an ACL to limit from what ip addresses a telnet session can be accepted.

example:

access-list 25 permit 10.1.2.0 0.0.0.255

! under the line vty range apply

! the standard ACL with the access-class

! command:

line vty 0 4

access-class 25 in

you don't need to play with PBR to implement a control on telnet access to network devices.

PBR doesn't behave as expected on locally generated packets (inside the device) these are by default not processed by PBR.

There is a specific command to be given in global config:

ip local policy route-map

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/command/reference/irp_pi1.html#wp1012417

But for this scenario the access-class command is the best solution: it is simple and works.

On FW allows full access: the control is implemented on each device as described above

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

thanks for the answer.

I already set the loca policy....

I see all thinks like you, the telnet access was only a example.

In the moment I#m not sure if the security concept of the colleauge before me (now security officer) is a good one.

I will think about it...

Thank you very much.

Sebastian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card