cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcast filtering

timkunce0
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up a classroom network for a computer science class I am involved with. I wish to set up a closed environment within the school district network, so students can practice managing their own DHCP/DNS and not worry about effecting the performance of the district network. Currently I have a Cat2960-24-S and no router. Can I make this classroom environment work on a minimal budget?

8 Replies 8

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Tim,

use different Vlans to partition the lab among students so that they don't disturb each other.

This is fine for testing DHCP and probably also to make a basic DNS test.

Let the vlans without a L3 routing service to the real school network to be sure they cannot be seen as rogue DHCP servers or rogue DNS servers causing problems.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Okay, would they be able to get out to the internet? I would like the students to be able to create something along the lines of a small office with DHCP, exchange, and possibly vpn (that would depend on the cooperation I would get from the school's IT people.)

Sorry Guiseppe,, didn't see your post. I'll drop out of this.

Jon

Hello Jon,

no problem:

your post provides details about config that can help

Have a nice week

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tim

It's not clear from your post as to whether this 2960 switch will be dedicated to the students or whether they will share it with other school users ?

The 2960 is a L2 switch only so it won't route. However a L2 switch will still support multiple L2 vlans and broadcasts are contained within a vlan. So you can select a group of ports for the students and allocate them all to a dedicated vlan ie.

2960(config)# vlan 10

2960(config-if)# name students

2960(config)# int range fa0/4 - 10

2960(config-if)# switchport access vlan 10

The above config would create a new vlan 10 and allocate ports fa0/4 - 10 into vlan 10.

Jon

The 2960 would just be for the students, I've been doing some research online. If I put that switch behind a 850 series router, would that allow me to set up my simulated work environment with internet access?

Hello Tim,

the answer is yes but be aware that if the 850 will perform inter vlan routing the different student groups may interact or disturb each other.

I don't know if an 850 can support VRFs but they could be helpful in isolating each group.

Or you can give internet access to a group a time

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks everyone for your help. You're answered all my questions fully.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco