Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN client mac-address issue

itdsmartnet
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i have configured easy vpn server on ASA5550 and my remote VPN clients connects it successfully. My problem is that i have an application which needs MAC address in order for successful communication. i have found that mac-address is the same for all vpn clients, how can i get different mac-address against different vpnclients.

Thanks

15 Replies 15

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

When a packet traverses a L3 boundary, it's source MAC address will definitely change.

Are sure your Application cannot run on IP Address , but only MAC address ??

HTH...rate if helpful...

Thanks for your reply, by issuing ipconfig /all on the systems where vpn client is installed, i have found that all the systems with vpn client installed have the same mac-address. i have installed vpn clients on Windows XP machines. My server needs ip address with unique mac-address for its communication with the clients. My VPN clients are getting unique ip address but not the mac-address. The mac-address listed on ipconfig /all is 00-05-9A-3C-78-00.

thanks

please help me. i want my vpn clients to have different ip and different mac address.

Hi

Can you paste your output of "ipconfig /all"

and "arp -a" ??

Also

1.Are these all VPN clients are at same location geographically?

2.If they are at same location are they connecting to head end through some NAT device ???

This is looks like a common issue !!!

Not able to find proper doc on this..

1. No these clients are on different geographically location.

Hi,

my VPN client is using the same MAC.

No notice in any documentation.

I found that value on my PC while searching Windows registers but didn't try to change it.

Basic question:

How does your application check the client MAC address while connected via an L3 device (i.e. in another subnet)?

BR,

Milan

hi,

my vpn clients join domain remotely and my server which require mac address and ip is on my domain. so it checks the mac address with the ip address to get the client access.

So what ??

Is all hosts across globe who are connecting to their enterprise network using Cisco VPN client have same MAC address ??

Has anyone come up with a solution to this question?

Cristian Silva
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem, my ip communicator gets their "name" by the mac-address of the interface , I want to connect more than one ip communicator but they tries to register to my callmanager with the same "name" that is based on the mac anyone knows how to change it.

I have installed Cisco Anyconnect Secure Mobility VPN to our 3 laptops but they are getting the same MAC-ADDRESS 00-05-9A-3C-7A-00. They are all using Windows 10. Can you please help me how to make them have different MAC-ADDRESS? Thanks. 

VLuk008
Level 1
Level 1

We have the same problem. Is there a solution?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card