cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default Startup file - VLANs still exist?

fjcardenas-1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 2950 switch. I start with the default Startup file (no configuration), I play with the equipment creating some vlans and when I turn off and on the switch (not saving the running-confi file)... the configuration is erased and start with default again but vlans still exist.... is it OK that vlans are not erase in this switches after a reload?. Manually with the "no vlan x" there is no problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It's perfectly normal. The startup config is separate from the vlan database. The vlans are stored in this file, and yes, it's on every switch I've seen. (2950, 3750, 4500 series)

--John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

You need to delete vlan.dat file.

But this can cause inconsistency if switch is in production.

HTH..rate if helpful..

Delete vlan.dat

switch# delete vlan.dat

Hit enter twice.

--John

Is it OK then that vlans still exist after a reload if the running configuration was not saved to startup configuration when vlans were created?.

Erasaing the vlan.dat file is the same for every switch or this is a particular case for the 2950?

Thanks.

It's perfectly normal. The startup config is separate from the vlan database. The vlans are stored in this file, and yes, it's on every switch I've seen. (2950, 3750, 4500 series)

--John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card