CUCM Upgrade 4.2 to 6.1

Unanswered Question
Oct 13th, 2008

If I upgrade from 4.2 to 6.1 and onto a new server at the same time, do I need to apply to cisco to get the DMA license re-issued for a new MAC address, or does 6.1 now resolve this?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
billybjo1 Mon, 10/13/2008 - 07:05

I'd be curious to hear anyones experiences bad or good here. Would it be best to first migrate 4.2 over to the new server and then upgrade, or just re-apply for the license.

I liked the idea of being able to build the server in parallel but obviously need to apply for the license change. Given this is a live upgrade, how quick would the licensing team respond to such an email.

If migrating first to the new server, obviously I would then have to down the existing publisher for the new rebuild.

Has anyone found any major plus points in doing this a certain way? Thanks.

Tommer Catlin Mon, 10/13/2008 - 09:02

DMA is DMA. The concept is as follows:

- Run DMA on 4.2

- it exports the DMA TAR file to the 4.2. server folder you pick

- copy it off the server and MOH, ringtones, background pics, etc.

- if you have a new server you can build the new 6.1 server in the lab.

- when it asks for your server name, IP address, input the SAME as your existing 4.2 Publisher. Do not change ANYTHING

- When it asks for your DMA file, point to the file located on an FTP server you have running.

- CUCM 6.1 during install, imports the file, converts it to the new informix database and sets up the 6.1 server.

- once the server is online, setup the licensing, check the log files.

- if all looks good, shut down your 4.2 publisher

- bring up your 6.1 Publisher online

- bring down your 4.2 subscriber

- test. If all works, you can go ahead and start loading the 6.1 subscriber.

For licensing, it's super confusing I agree, but here are the bullets:

- Use the Product Upgrade Tool online to acquire your new 4.2 to 6.x license. This will spit out a new LIC file for your Subscription services

- when the email conformation comes in, forward this email to [email protected] and request your Node and DLU license worksheet.

- fill in the worksheet with the new MAC address of the Publisher, Device counts (7941,7961, etc) and Nodes.

- Licensing will then issue you a few more LIC files you add to the Publisher.

Hope this helps.

This Discussion