Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP in single router

harisivaji
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can we configure HSRP in single router connected to Two l2 switches thro FA port.

I need to monitor These two FA ports if one goes down another should come up and vice versa.

9 Replies 9

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

why do you need this?

Just for lab purpose

AJAZ NAWAZ
Level 5
Level 5

HSRP on single router chassis is not possible. However, there are various other potential solutions to this topology.

So which router platform do you have please?

Ajaz

Hi Ajaz,

I have 2611XM and two 2950 switch

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

You can configure HSRP on a single router, but there's not a lot of point. The only point is if there are definite plans for a second router, and the single router is an interim solution.

You mention two switches - I am gonna take a wild guess and ask if you have two switches connected togther and you have two LAN interfaces on your router and want to cover for a failed LAN interface on either the router or switch? If so look at IRB - create a BVI, add the IP config to that and then just bridge the two LANs to the BVI.

The other alternative I can think of is the two switches are "upstream" in which case you would be better off with a routing protocol, or a poor second of floating static routes.

If I have guessed wrongly, please let us know what you are actually trying to do.

Hi paul ,

Is there any configuration document for the scenario.

Thanks,

Hari

Which particular scenario? I mentioned two...

I need for first one ie,IRB using BVI.

Thanks,

Why not using STP instead?!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card