Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP in single router

harisivaji
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can we configure HSRP in single router connected to Two l2 switches thro FA port.

I need to monitor These two FA ports if one goes down another should come up and vice versa.

9 Replies 9

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

why do you need this?

Just for lab purpose

AJAZ NAWAZ
Level 5
Level 5

HSRP on single router chassis is not possible. However, there are various other potential solutions to this topology.

So which router platform do you have please?

Ajaz

Hi Ajaz,

I have 2611XM and two 2950 switch

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

You can configure HSRP on a single router, but there's not a lot of point. The only point is if there are definite plans for a second router, and the single router is an interim solution.

You mention two switches - I am gonna take a wild guess and ask if you have two switches connected togther and you have two LAN interfaces on your router and want to cover for a failed LAN interface on either the router or switch? If so look at IRB - create a BVI, add the IP config to that and then just bridge the two LANs to the BVI.

The other alternative I can think of is the two switches are "upstream" in which case you would be better off with a routing protocol, or a poor second of floating static routes.

If I have guessed wrongly, please let us know what you are actually trying to do.

Hi paul ,

Is there any configuration document for the scenario.

Thanks,

Hari

Which particular scenario? I mentioned two...

I need for first one ie,IRB using BVI.

Thanks,

Why not using STP instead?!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card