Helpful
Replies

Hsrp in single router

harisivaji
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In HSRP FAQ:

Q. What is the difference between GLBP and HSRP?

With HSRP in a single router (gateway), one interface is used as the active interface and the other interface is in standby. The active interface is used for all the traffic and the standby interface just waits for the active interface to fail without any traffic.

Source:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00800a9679.shtml#gl

What does it means can we use single router connected to two L2 switches thro FA ports (config as HSRP one active and standby interface)

Thanks,

Hari

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hari

As far as i am concerned that is actually quite a misleading statement in that doc. You cannot have 2 ethernet interfaces on the same router using IP addresses out of the same IP subnet so you cannot run HSRP between 2 interfaces on the same router.

I think what it is trying to say is that HSRP will only use one router to forward traffic unless that router fails and then the standby router is used whereas GLBP can use all routers in the group to forward traffic.

Jon

Thanks Jon

Not applicable

JON,

CAN U ELABORATE THIS LITTLE MORE ?

Sure, is there something specific you wanted me to cover ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: