cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

device profile settings for ip communicator

chrisgray1
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue where we use 7960 phones and several of our users have 5 lines, 4 of these being shared support desk lines.

Their device profiles are setup with the device type 7960 and they are setup with phone button templates for the 7960 phones, with 5 lines and 4 speed dials.

I have recently installed ip communicator on a laptop and when a user logs in to the ip communicator they only get the first two lines from their user device profile. Can anyone advise if the 7960 DP 's are incompatible with the IPC and if so how to get around this?

thanks

Chris

11 Replies 11

tim.giles
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Chris,

It sounds like you are using the standard phone button template which only has 2 lines (see attached)?

Try creating a new template with the additional lines and associating this with the profile.

It should work..

Please rate useful posts..

Hi Tim,

I did create a new phone button template and then added it to the phone, I also added it to the device defaults for the ip communicator, however when I log in using one of the users device profiles I still only see two lines.

As mentioned the users DPs are setup with device type 7960. Could this be the matter? I really need a device profile which is able to work across two or more types of phone.

thanks

chris

Yes, you are correct. You have probably created a device profile for a 7941 therefore you need to create one for a 7961 (see attached).

After this you should then be able to see the additional lines (see attached also)..

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your help. The Device Profiles are setup and in use already for each user. They have device type - 7960 because the users desk phones are 7960s.

I have now installed IP communicator, gave it extension mobility and setup a new phone button template by copying the IPC default and adding more lines as shown in the attachment IPC.jpg.

I then gave the IPC phone the new PBT.

However when logging in I still get only two lines instead of 5.

You can see on the screenshots of the IPC phone config.jpg that there are 5 available lines on the phone and it is using the PBT that I setup, this when there is no user logged in to the IPC phone.

Then when I log in it appears as follows.

IPC phone config2.jpg and tells me that there are 3 inactive lines because I'm using the wrong PBT. When I go to change this it tells me I can't because a user is logged in.

I'm not sure where to change this?

regards

Chris

You need to go to Device > Device Settings > Phone Button Template. It still looks like you are using the default IP communicator PBT?

You attached a picture of the phone, can you attach a copy of the phone button template configuration you have set up (or click on "view button list" on the IPC phone config)?

Name it something different like "IP Communicator PBT 5 lines"..

Hi Tim thats right. I have configured the PBT and applied it to the phone ie. I went to device > phone, clicked on the IPC phone and gave it the new PBT called "Chris IP Communicator".

Then when I logged in as the user and checked the phone config it has got all of his lines down the left hand side with 3 of them inactive because it isn't using the "Chris IP communicator" PBT it has instead used the default IPC PBT.

When I try to change the PBT to "Chris IP communicator" and update I can't do it because the user is logged in. So I'm not sure where to change it.

I've attached the jpg of the PBT and the users Device profile.

thanks again

Chris

You should be able to change the PBT on the IPC phone. Does it let you change it and update when this person is logged out?

Basically what you saying is that even though you've applied the new phone button template to the IPC it reverts back to the default template??

Hi,

Yes thats how it appears to me. if what I've done is correct.

When the user is logged out and I'm looking at the plain phone profile it has the new PBT in the settings. But when they log in it has the users device profile settings including their lines, but the PBT goes back to the default IPC PBT, which I can't change while they are logged in.

This sounds like a bug to be honest.

If you've configured the Phone Button Template for the IPC and user to have the additional lines there's no reason they shouldn't appear when they log in.

I can't find any related bugs or problems so you may have to speak to TAC who can assist.

Unless anyone else on the forums has another idea?

Please rate useful posts...

ok, thanks for the help Tim.

I'll see if TAC can help me.

Chris,

Let me know if they fix it, I want to know what the problem was..

Thanks,

Tim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: