Views
Helpful
Replies

assigning different ringtones to different phones

davieshuw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

Can I automatically set phone ringtones for users, and restrict them from being able to change them?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Huw,

Here is a way of preventing specific users from changing the Ring Setting once they have been set. I'm sure this would require a 1st time manual intervention to set the desired ring.

Users are unable to change the Ring Volume/ and Ring Type if you disable the Settings Access parameter on the Phone configuration page. Complete these steps:

From the Cisco CallManager Administration page, choose Device > Phone, and click the phone for which you want to prevent a ring type change.

Choose Disabled for the Settings Access parameter under the Product Specific Configuration section.

When Settings Access is enabled, you can change the phone network configuration, ring type, and volume on the phone. When you disable Settings Access, the Settings button is completely disabled and no options appear when you press the button. Also, you cannot adjust the ringer type, ringer volume or save any volume settings. The option Restricted is available in Cisco CallManager version 4.1(3) and later. When you change Settings Access to Restricted, you can only access User Preferences and volume settings. By default, Settings Access is enabled.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00800a6763.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Huw,

Here is a way of preventing specific users from changing the Ring Setting once they have been set. I'm sure this would require a 1st time manual intervention to set the desired ring.

Users are unable to change the Ring Volume/ and Ring Type if you disable the Settings Access parameter on the Phone configuration page. Complete these steps:

From the Cisco CallManager Administration page, choose Device > Phone, and click the phone for which you want to prevent a ring type change.

Choose Disabled for the Settings Access parameter under the Product Specific Configuration section.

When Settings Access is enabled, you can change the phone network configuration, ring type, and volume on the phone. When you disable Settings Access, the Settings button is completely disabled and no options appear when you press the button. Also, you cannot adjust the ringer type, ringer volume or save any volume settings. The option Restricted is available in Cisco CallManager version 4.1(3) and later. When you change Settings Access to Restricted, you can only access User Preferences and volume settings. By default, Settings Access is enabled.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00800a6763.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob, sorry I should have mentioned im using CME.

Well i've trimmed the ringlist.xml file down, manually set everyone's ringtone and issued a threatening email saying nobody is to change their ringtones. Seems to be working!

Cheers

Hi Huw,

Cheers to you as well my friend!

There is a similar method for CME that may help;

settingsAccess {0 | 1 | 2}

Enables and disables the Settings button on an IP phone.

•0-Disabled.

•1-Enabled (default). The phone user can modify features by using the Settings menu.

•2-Restricted. The phone user is allowed to access User Preferences and volume settings only.

service phone

To modify the vendorConfig parameters in the configuration file, use the service phone command in telephony-service or ephone-template configuration mode. To disable a setting, use the no form of this command.

service phone parameter-name parameter-value

Router(config)# telephony-service

Router(config-telephony)# service phone

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/command/reference/cme_s1ht.html#wp1083963

Hope this helps!

Rob

Brilliant cheers rob!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: