cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5.0 in failover

gavin.jones
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Unity servers in standby (manual) failover and was wondering what the status of the units would be if the LAN connection between them failed. The scenario is that, i have two buildings each with thier own incoming telco connections and exchange servers, these are connected together via an ethernet connection. My question is how the Unity servers would re-act if that connection was broken. Would the units status stay as they are, i.e primary unit still serving building 1 and secondary server still standby, thus no voicemail in building 2 or would both units become active until the connection was recovered. Also whether there would be any advantage in using automatic back up of these servers (I understand the strict LAN guidelines for this). My ultimate goal is to cover either unity server failure, or ethernet connection failure to keep services up in both buildings.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

my failover config is primary at site a and secondary at site b. LAN/WAN connection between the two.

If the LAN/WAN went down then the primary would still service site a

the secondary would go into failover mode and it does service site b.

The thing is we have failover ccm and exchange also at site b. we have gateways an so forth there too.

does this help?

Randy

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Take a look at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/failover/guide/ex/5xcufge040.html

That covers most of the failure scenarios and redundancy options.

Hi,

Many thanks for the swift response. I have looked through this document and it does not really answer the question. All of the scenarios are based upon servers being disconnected from the network. In my scenario i have in effect two seperate switch stacks, one in each building. My question is what would happen if the interlink between the switches went down. In other words, none of the servers would lose their LAN connection. Would i be correct in saying that the state of the two unity servers would not change, so we would lose VM at the secondary server side.

Thanks

It sounds like you have two Unity servers at two sites but not in a failover configuration.

If you are in failover then the primary would be servicing both buildings. If the primary goes down then the secondary picks up vm for both buildings.

I do not understand this.

so we would lose VM at the secondary server side.

why would you if failover is setup right.

Randy

Hi,

The unity servers are in standby failover so you are correct that under normal circumstances the primary server services both buildings. My question is, what if the LAN connection between the two buildings went down, (not a server failure or server NIC connection) would the building with the secondary server lose VM? Or would both servers become active.

Thanks

my failover config is primary at site a and secondary at site b. LAN/WAN connection between the two.

If the LAN/WAN went down then the primary would still service site a

the secondary would go into failover mode and it does service site b.

The thing is we have failover ccm and exchange also at site b. we have gateways an so forth there too.

does this help?

Randy

Randy,

Many thanks for your time on this, we have exactly the same set up you. I am very pleased to have your import before i do DR testing of the whole system.

Many Thanks.

send me an email and I can help offline if you run into any issues.

We do a major DR test every year.

Thanks Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: