cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

logging on syslog

mezgani.ali
Level 1
Level 1

i use a linux box as a syslog server,i want to collect the log infomation of a cisco router , after colleting the log, i find that the format (or the content) of router log can not meet my satification.

the content of my log is like following :

Oct 14 16:32:58 x.x.x.x 66: *Oct 14 16:37:23: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by cisco on vty0 (10.10.10.2)

Oct 14 16:33:28 x.x.x.x 67: *Oct 14 16:37:53: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by cisco on vty0 (10.10.10.2)

could any one help

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

These messages are valid, and point to a config change on the devices in question. What do you feel is missing?

How can i get more verbosity with it, i need to inspect the crash of my router.

If you want to customize the body of a message, you will have to use the Embedded Syslog Manager feature available in IOS 12.3(2)T and higher (more on ESM can be found at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gt_esm.html). However, you can adjust the types of messages sent by increasing the logging trap severity. For example, to send debug messages from your router (including stack traces from crashes), configure:

logging trap debug

It's ok, thank you.

Best regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: