Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client 5.0.00.0340 on Vista says connected when not

chrispursey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm using VPN Client 5.0.00.0340 on Windows Vista to connect to one of our customers.

When I go to connect and type in my password, it always seems to authenticate correctly and connect to the VPN successfully.

However, about 75% of the time, even though it says it is connected, I do not actually have a connection to the customer network. I can't even ping the servers.

If I disconnect and reconnect repeatedly, on about the third or fourth attempt, I will actually get a connection that works, allowing me to access the remote network.

Does anyone know why this might be? Could it be an issue with my network settings, a setting in the VPN Client software, or even something at the customer end that is set up incorrectly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

3 Replies 3

tim.giles
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

There's quite a few bugs related to version 5 and Vista. You might want to check the bug toolkit to see if there's anything relevant (including CSCsq34291 which may or may not be related).

Does it work on XP and have you tried rolling back the VPN client version to 4.x to see if it improves things (I've had to do this before).

Please rate useful posts..

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

It does indeed work perfectly well on XP using VPN client version 4.6.01.0019! The reason I didn't use a v4.x on Vista was that I read somewhere on the Cisco site that it isn't compatible.

I'll take a look at the bug toolkit like you have suggested and might give version 4.x a go too.

Cheers,

Chris

You are absolutely right, there's no support for 4.x on Vista.

Possibly an OS firewall issue?

Good luck, hope you find a fix!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: