cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CS Device Discovery - Unreachable Devices

GERARD PUOPLO
Level 1
Level 1

Device Discovery often returns saying so many devices found are unreachable devices and found via CDP. When I check I can ping many of the IP addresses that are specified as unreachable.

What does device discovery unreachable actually mean ? It doesn't appear to mean just IP unreachable so is it also SNMP unreachable that's the probem ?

3 Replies 3

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Discovery looks for SNMP RO reachability. If this is not given a device is stated as 'unreachable'.

Possible causes are:

- wrong SNMP credentials in LMS Device Discovery Settings

- wrong SNMP credential on the device

- both of the above ;-)

- SNMP access list on the device

- Firewall between LMS server and device blocking this traffic

- Firewall / AntiVirus-SW on LMS Server blocking this traffic

I have the same problem, but when I add the device with default credentials, the same as I use for discovery the device gets imported without any fault..

Is there a log in CW LMS or something that I can check to see what is causing the connectivity issue?

Well yes there are in v3.01 and higher its ngdiscovery.log and CSDiscovery.log . You'll need to enable debug level logging under Common Services Administration otherwise only fatal errors will show up.

You also can go to device center and use the "Server to Device" connectivity tool which you can check all your credentials at once and see which work and which dont. You can also enable the packet capture while doing this to see if your protocols are timing out or being refused.

The problem with discovery vs adding with default credentials (which can contain secondary credentials in v3.0+) is that it contains multiple credentials, not just the RO SNMP string which is the only thing discovery will use for baseline discovery.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: