cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Splitting a Network Across the WAN

patrick.boyle
Level 1
Level 1

Attached is a diagram illustrating my situation. I need some nodes in the 172.16.5.x /24 network to coexist at two seperate remote locations. Currently everything resides at Router B. Router B is the default gateway for that network (172.16.5.1). We run EIGRP and have multiple VLANs (hence the subinterfaces) The DHCP server for these nodes is attached to Router A. My question is, how can I put nodes on Router C in the 172.16.5.x network, with the default gateway on a different router? What IP should I give to the subinterface on Router C (or should I give it an IP at all?)

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Patrick

L2TPv3 would allow you to extend the L2 vlan across a routed WAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns588/networking_solutions_white_paper09186a008017fa6e.shtml

Note that not all routers/IOS versions support L2TPv3 so you need to check with Cisco Feature Navigator.

Jon

View solution in original post

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Patrick,

what you need here is a L2 transport service over IP.

if the WAN links were serial links you could use IRB with bridge-group commands on dedicated lan interfaces and on the serial link between RB and RC.

However, you would like to use LAN subinterfaces and the backbone links appear to be a LAN interface with IP subnet 172.16.50.0/24.

I would use L2TPv3 to setup a L2 point-to-point transport between RB and RC.

A link to L2TPv3 config

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html#wp1043064

this feature is supported on ISR routers like 2811 for example.

This is reasonable if traffic volume is not very high.

the only problem is the default-gateway : for that you should need to define a subif with same 802.1Q tag = same vlan number on a different physical interface connected to another port of the lan switch.

This because the l2tpv3 vlan subif has no ip address at all, it is providing a L2 service.

You need a second LAN interface in one of the two routers, it could be better if using also a second lan subif on the second router to provide L3 redundancy

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Patrick

L2TPv3 would allow you to extend the L2 vlan across a routed WAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns588/networking_solutions_white_paper09186a008017fa6e.shtml

Note that not all routers/IOS versions support L2TPv3 so you need to check with Cisco Feature Navigator.

Jon

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Patrick,

what you need here is a L2 transport service over IP.

if the WAN links were serial links you could use IRB with bridge-group commands on dedicated lan interfaces and on the serial link between RB and RC.

However, you would like to use LAN subinterfaces and the backbone links appear to be a LAN interface with IP subnet 172.16.50.0/24.

I would use L2TPv3 to setup a L2 point-to-point transport between RB and RC.

A link to L2TPv3 config

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html#wp1043064

this feature is supported on ISR routers like 2811 for example.

This is reasonable if traffic volume is not very high.

the only problem is the default-gateway : for that you should need to define a subif with same 802.1Q tag = same vlan number on a different physical interface connected to another port of the lan switch.

This because the l2tpv3 vlan subif has no ip address at all, it is providing a L2 service.

You need a second LAN interface in one of the two routers, it could be better if using also a second lan subif on the second router to provide L3 redundancy

Hope to help

Giuseppe

patrick.boyle
Level 1
Level 1

Brilliant. Thank you both so much for your help. This may turn out to be a fun project afterall.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco