Views
Helpful
Replies

Router as NTP server

w.beck
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I use a CISCO 1800 Series Router as NTP server. If the router can't synchronize its time with the configured time server, it falls to stratum 16. Now we have some clients which can't synchronize their time with the router, but some still do this. Is there any default how the router should react to a ntp request from a client (I can see in the debug protocol of ntpdate of the client "Server dropped: strata too high".

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use the command ntp master in the router running the NTP Server services.

Please read the documentation for caveats while using this command:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/netmgmt/command/reference/nm_08.html#wp1014092

HTH,

__

Edison.

w.beck
Level 1
Level 1

thanks, my question was more like:

why do I have two different results from a NTP query when the router time is unsynchronized, one client still gets the time, the other one not. What should be the "right" result?

The right result is the client shouldn't get the time from a NTP server when the server itself is unsynchronized.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card