cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gigabit Ethernet switch modules for routers

nkariyawasam
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any Gigabit Ethernet switch modulues available for ISR routers ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as i know unfortunately no only 10/100. Some of the 10/100 modules do have 1Gb port but i suspect you mean all ports at 1Gbps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html#esm

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as i know unfortunately no only 10/100. Some of the 10/100 modules do have 1Gb port but i suspect you mean all ports at 1Gbps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html#esm

Jon

Hello Jon,

the GE port should be a sort of uplink and to be used to interconnect multiple modules on the same chassis without using ISR backplane bandwidth left for L3 routing.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Not sure what you mean by this. The GE port is just a gigabit ports isn't it ? and yes it would generally be used for uplinking to other switches. But all i wanted to point out was that altho the etherswitch modules primarily support 10/100 only a lot of them do have a gigabit port.

Have i missed something ?

Jon

Hello Jon,

it is clear there are no multiGE port modules for ISR, I just added a detail on how to use this GE port when multiple modules are on the same chassis this is explained in the 12.4 lan switching config guide.

I admit this comment may be out of scope/context about the original question.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

tcordier
Level 1
Level 1

You have two alternatives:

You can insert GE HWIC modules in most ISR routers (expect 18xx and 2801) (search for HWIC-1GE-SFP) which provide a single GE interface (optical connector).

Next to that you can insert Ethernet Switch modules with 10/100 switch ports and one GE uplink port(e.g. NME-16ES-1G).

HTH, Thomas

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You may want to reconsider the need for adding gig switch module to an ISR router. None of the ISRs really offer the peformance to fully process a gig port through the router. If your using an ISR that already provides gig ports, you might consider VLAN trunking of a built-in port.

If you really need to add more than 1 or 2 gig ports, the NME-XD-24ES-1S-P supports stackwise connections to other 3750 or 3750-E switches that could offer the additional gig ports. However, if you were going to use additional 3750 switches, I would just connect the ISR to them without using the switch module. (NB: many ISRs support Etherchanneling of their built-in ports.)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card