Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP between sw-6513 with many vlan

I have two cat6513,I have many vlan in both switches. I want to set HSRP in these switches so that I have redundance with a router (3845)

I have been looking examples for HSRP for swithes but I only found for routers.

Is not clear for me how to handle HSRP when there are many vlan. I

any reference for HSRP examples with swithes??

regards

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

" I want to set HSRP in these switches so that I have redundance with a router (3845)"

Not sure what you mean by that as routers use the real physical addresses rather than the virtual address which is really only for end devices unless you are using static routes.

Anyway the config is pretty much the same as on a router eg.

switch1

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.5.2 255.255.255.0

standby 10 ip 192.168.5.1

standby 10 pri 110

standby 10 preempt

standby 10 auth

switch2

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.5.3 255.255.255.0

standby 10 ip 192.168.5.1

standby 10 pri 100

standby 10 auth

etc.. for each vlan. The higher the priority is the one that will be active.

Only thing to be aware of is that you may have more vlans than you can have HSRP groups. However this is not a problem on switches as you could have many vlans under the same group.

Jon

Jon,

thanks so much for your quick response.

just to explain a little more, sw1 is conected to the router that is the output to internet. the SW2 is conected to sw1.

With HSRP I want to use the second ethernet port of the router in order to conect SW2 in case of ether1 goes down.

last question, for swithes is not necessary the track option??

Okay, not sure how that will work.

You can't have 2 interfaces on the same router out of the same subnet or are you using 2 different vlans and HSRP's them both ?

One other option would be to run 2 L3 P2P links from the router to your L3 switches. if you run a routng protocol like OSPF/EIGRP between the switches and the router then the switches will see 2 equal cost paths to all remote destinations.

However that is just an option. In answer to your question no you do not need to track any interface because you only have one WAN connection so if that goes then it doesn't matter what the ethernet interfaces do.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco