cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limiting bandwidth on a interface

mressler
Level 1
Level 1

I have a remote site that has a 6 mb symmetrical connection. The problem is this is a co-owned office and I can only use 3 mb of it. How can I do this on a 2811 router? Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Outbound, you could shape or police your traffic to 3 Mbps. (Although, if possible, I would suggest you use CBWFQ and define 50% bandwidth for both you and the other party. This would allow either of you to use more bandwidth if the other party wasn't using their bandwidth, but both would get 3 Mbps if you both wanted it.)

Inbound is a problem, unless you control the outbound on the other side of the link.

Ok I will look into CBWFQ, I'm not too familar with that though. Have any generic examples of config to do this?

Inbound limiting isn't a problem. Outbound they will be pushing large images, so that is where the issue is.

NB: Syntax likely incorrect.

ip access-list extended mytraffic

remark match against your traffic source addresses

permit ip x.x.x.x y.y.y.y any

class-map mytraffic

match access-group mytraffic

class-map theirtraffic

match any

policy-map split5050

class mytraffic

bandwidth remaining percent 50

class theirtraffic

interface serial #

service-policy outbound split5050

If your still want to limit your bandwidth, even when excess is availble. You could do this.

policy-map restrictbandwidth

class mytraffic

shape average percent 50

class theirtraffic

shape average percent 50

interface serial #

service-policy outbound restrictbandwidth

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: