Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS on ESX VM

ckltd7401
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I'm making my first attempt at installing Unified Presence ver 6.0.3 on an ESX 3.5 Guest VM. I'm able to get all the way through the installation up until I get a "Failed to get Trusted-Peer validation" from the CUCM (ver 6.1.2) Primary Node. I'm supplying the same CUCM security password that I use to logon as system administrator, but validation fails. I have two questions that cloud my mind:

1) How can I test the CUCM security password that I know to be correct? We had an outside vendor do the initial UCCM setup so I'd like to verify security password without changing it.

2) At what point does the CUPS OS install assign the IP to the virtual NIC for network connectivity? I can't help but wonder if that's why my trust is failing, especially if my VM guest OS is not on the network.

I have statically assigned the IP during CUPS install, but cannot see the IP registered in the ESX Admin console. I'm hoping someone else has had and conquored this issue.

Thanks for any help in advance.

11 Replies 11

ckltd7401
Level 1
Level 1

Thought that I should mention that this is solely for demo purposes to see how the product works. I received the software along with recent UCCM upgrade DVDs and would like to try before I buy...

Hi,

first of all sorry I can't help with your issue as I can't get my CUPS install to get work. However I was hoping you could help me.

I'm trying to install a demo of CUPS 6.0(3) on ESXi 3.5. Its failing with "file 17 with a IpmWorkFile has exceeded a time threshold of 90 seconds".

I've set the memory to be 2048, the disk to 80Gb and the OS to be LINUX other. I would be greatfull if you could tell me what settings you used for your install to see if its one of these causing my problem.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

I'm running with the same ESX settings you are with the exception of the OS type. I'm setting mine up as Windows Server 2003 Standard Ed. The install runs great up until it tries to contact the Publisher. Funny thing is, you can see where the install script checks and verifies the provided network settings during the install and it does not fail then. That's why I'm tossed by the generic error message that gives me 3 possible reasons why the Trust-Peer test could fail:

1) The server is not the correct CUCM primary

2) Login credentials are incorrect

3) The server is not reachable on the network

I know for sure #1 is not the problem. Reason #2 is a possibility being that I'm not sure what the Security password is. All I know is the password to the primary Admin account that we use to logon and administer the system. Reason #3 troubles me cause I do not see any IP address registered in ESX for the guest VM that the Presence install in running on. Let me know what you find if/when you try running your install with a Windows-based OS like mine.

ck

bwuelfing
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the very same issue as I try this for the very first time on VMWare ACE. I've tried everything, but can't get passed the Trust-Point screen. I've verified everything (ip's/hostnames/connectivity/security passwords). UCM 6.1(2) and CUPS 6.0(3).

I found that my issue was due to IP routing. I had no access to the UCCM Publisher from the VM host box. My Trust-Peer authentication failed because my CUPS VM could not contact the Publisher. Once I moved my CUPS VM guest to an ESX host with access, the Trust-Peer passed. My only problem now is that I'm unable to get any license files from Cisco to load on the VM. I get error stating that the license will not load on VMWare and that it's not supported. I know others have found ways to get it working, but I haven't found any workarounds as of yet. Do you know if it's necessary to have license units available for each Personal Communicator on the CUPS server or UCCM server?

Did you get a response on the License issue. I have presence installed on a vm and I am having issues...I can connect and use the deskphone but I don't get the soft phone..I have create the UPCdevice and all works there...if I look @ the log file it shows soft phone = no ...I am also using a vm for ccm and have plenty of device licenses availble.

I am stuck here...any suggestions..

Joe

No, I wasn't able to load the CUPC license files sent from Cisco. I got an error message stating that Cisco licenses aren't supported on VMWare. I was able to get the CUPS VM up and running, but unable to get any user licenses loaded onto it. What MAC address did you use to register with Cisco for your CUPS device user license files and did they load on the VM without error? I used the MAC address of the VM host that the CUPS VM guest is running on.

I haven't loaded any license on the server. From what I understood the license's are pulled from the CallManager Device Licenses.

I get the basic functionality of the cupc without the softphone..I have read that the only difference in the basic and the basic + softphone is the 3 extra dlu's the softphone (UPCDEVICE) uses. I have checked my licenses and I am fine with DLU's. Will I need to upload a license file the VM server. I am not going to but the vm enviroment in production..it is only for testing and proof of concept.

Thanks,

Joe

You are right with the licenses for CUPC and Presense. This are DLUs from the CUCM and so the license file has to fit for the MAC address of the CUCM and it is loaded onto it.

But you can also use standard DLUs for it.

The only issue is to have a license file for the CUPS Proxy Server (ENT_PROXY_NODE cisco 1.0 ) and the Presence Engine (ENT_PE_NODE cisco 1.0). You can look to the Presence Admin site - System - Licensing - License Unit Report on your Testsystem. There are licenses after installation without an uploaded license file.

CUPC Softphone uses 3 DLUs or 1 DLU if it has a primary phone selected in CUCM Admin. All this is done on CUCM and CUPS loads that infos from it.

Thanks for your reply...I have looked @ the test presence server and all I see is 2 Units Available and 0 Units Used 2 Units Remaining. From what I can gather on your response the dlu's on the call manager should be enough to allow for the softphone mode of the cupc to be used? I have only associated the user with the hard phone and the UPC device..should this allow me to use the softphone portion of the cupc? This seems to be something simple I am missing.

TIA,

Joe

On CUPS the 2 licenses are used if you start the UP SIP Proxy and the UP Presence Engine in Serviceability. They are Node licenses ( for Server/Services )

On CUCM you have to assign CUP and CUPC for every user you want in -> System -> Licensing -> Capabilities Assignment(s)

You can monitor the uses licenses in -> License Unit Calculator

On -> License Unit Report you see

Phone License Feature -> this are the DLUs which are also used for Users Presense and

CUPC Capabilities

CCM Node License Feature -> This are the Servers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: