First Timer.....

Unanswered Question
Oct 15th, 2008

Hi all,

I recently took my first Cisco Academy program at City College of San Francisco but was overwhelmed with the topics discussed in the book. I was hoping to take the CCNA exam within a year. While in class, I had to re-read some of the concepts especially the subnetting portion because I didn't feel it was sinking in. I don't have any previous technical background either than operating a regular computer.

My question is, should this deter me from taking the course further? I know the program is very good and the certificate holds a lot of weight in the working field, however, I'm feeling a little down because I feel like a turtle racing against a bunch of rabbits.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
compsolv Wed, 10/15/2008 - 16:27

No way should you give up. Especially if you enjoy the material you are studying!

I was frustrated at my learning pace for CCNA, then CCNP, then CCIE. It just goes with the territory. This can be very challenging material. Stay with it if you love it.

Anthony J. Sequeira, CCIE #15626, CCSI #23251

Senior CCIE Instructor

[email protected]

Internetwork Expert, Inc.

http://www.InternetworkExpert.com

Toll Free: 877-224-8987

Outside US: 775-826-4344

tim.giles Wed, 10/15/2008 - 23:45

Hi Anthony,

Good advice..5*!

Don't give up if you are interested in the material and want to gain the accreditation, you'll find all the hard work will be worth it in the end!

Sushil Kumar Katre Thu, 10/16/2008 - 01:33

Hi Wassily,

It doesn;t really matter whether you have previous technical background or not if you are gained to learn.

When I joined college, we went to the Computer Lab to do some C,C++ labs... and I was sitting in front of the computer for 15 minutes figuring out how to start it.

Joined Cisco Academy program in my final year and just like you I felt that the space in my head was not enough to accumulate all the information. It took me 1 year to write my CCNA and I failed :)), finally after 1 month of re-study managed to clear CCNA.

It never hurts to spend some time if you love the stuff you are doing. Stay focused and follow the track and you'll succeed one day.

I am sure you'll find much more interesting stories than this one and much more successful people on this forum and get motivated.

Life is all about over coming such challenges, be it personal, be it professional.

Hope you'll continue the course and come out with flying colors.

All the best.

-> Sushil

rob.huffman Fri, 10/17/2008 - 05:37

Hi Sushil,

Good stuff my friend! +5 points for sharing this great story.

Rock On!

Rob

Sushil Kumar Katre Sat, 10/18/2008 - 05:50

Hey Rob, thanks for appreciating.

I am sure you guys the Top NetProws would have much better stories!!!

-> Sushil

Actions

This Discussion