861w - don't see dot11radio interface

Unanswered Question
Oct 15th, 2008

I'm new to Cisco equipment and just purchased the Cisco 861W ISR. I got the router configured on a basic level and used the Express setup to configure my WAN/internet. All that works fine.

However, I can't find the dot11radio interface listed on my device. When I run "show ip interface brief" I get the following:

Dialer0 unassigned YES NVRAM up up

FastEthernet0 unassigned YES unset up down

FastEthernet1 unassigned YES unset up down

FastEthernet2 unassigned YES unset up down

FastEthernet3 unassigned YES unset up down

FastEthernet4 unassigned YES NVRAM up down

NVI0 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

SSLVPN-VIF0 unassigned NO unset up up

Vlan1 10.0.0.1 YES NVRAM up up

Wlan-GigabitEthernet0 unassigned YES unset up up

wlan-ap0 unassigned YES NVRAM up up

So, when I attempt to go into config terminal mode and type in "interface dot11radio" so I can enable the radio with "no shutdown" I get an error message since dot11radio isn't present as an interface.

I performed the factory reset on my new router several times while learning how to configure it. Have I somehow wiped out/disabled my wireless radio? Or is it possible I received a defective unit? This is the router I ordered http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail?sku=8685745 Maybe I'm confused, but I thought this one came with the wireless radio built in, not as an option.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
amritpatek Tue, 10/21/2008 - 10:33

Problem could be due to the configuration while configuring,To Reset the Wireless Device to the Factory Default and again use the interface dot11radio global configuration CLI command to place the wireless device into the radio configuration mode. To reset the wireless device hardware and software to its factory default configuration, use the service-module wlan-ap0 reset default-config command in the router's Cisco IOS privileged EXEC mode.

Here is the URL for the Factory default setting and administration guide for Cisco 860 series router, it may help you

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/860-880-890/software/configuration/guide/admin_ap.html#wp1051827

Jason Spring Fri, 08/02/2013 - 11:16

The wireless within thsoe types of routers is actaully an embedded AP. To connect to the AP, type in the following command from the enabled prompt:

service-module wlan-ap 0 session

It will then prompt you for a username and password in which at first you can use the defaults.

To disconnect, hit ctl+shft+6 x and type in Disconnect

Jason Spring

Actions

This Discussion