Views
Helpful
Replies

Option A, 2 PE pair per Provider, Redundancy

sultan-shaikh
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

Requesting suggestions for the following scenario, let's say we have 2 service providers (SP) offering MPLS VPNs through Option A (Back to Back VRF).

These SPs are connecting through two PE/ASBRs each, like SP As, PE_A1 and PE_A2 and SP Bs, PE_B1 and PE_B2.

PE_A1 is connected to PE_B1 and PE_A2 is connected to PE_B2, this configuration is to offer PE redundancy.

I am thinking of having HSRP between these different PEs. But reckon there has to be a better way to do this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Cheers

~sultan

4 Replies 4

mheusing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sultan,

HSRP would require static routes and this will not scale that well, as you need to update the ASBR(s) each time the customer introduces a new network into one VRF.

Using eBGP as "PE-CE" protocol will give you the redundancy required with the control desired. Per VRF the design can be that of a redundant internet access for an enterprise customer, as the other side is seen like a CE. BGP is built for primary/backup scenarios, so local preference could be used.

Essentially your design question can be rephrased to: How do I offer redundant MPLS VPN access to a customer?

The answer typically will be eBGP or OSPF.

Both protocols have their pros and cons, so a more detailed look into requirements would help to decide for either one.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your response.

I agree with you and stand corrected. So if I am using eBGP between my and other Provider PEs, should I consider BGP local-preference attribute?

Are there any potential issues I might have to deal with here?

The reason for my paranoia is because I will be doing this directly in the production network without the benefit of vetting this in a Lab.

Thanks

Cheers,

~sultan

Hi Sultan,

You seem to like challenges and thrilling changes ;-)

Well,

I guess what might also be interesting to you: "MPLS VPN - Inter-AS Option AB"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/mpls/configuration/guide/mp_vpn_ias_optab.html

With this option you have VRF back-to-back, but only 1 MP-BGP session between ASBRs.

Gernerally potential issues are similar to a normal PE-CE situation

- protection from too many routes

- scalability in general

- PE security

- There was something I saw about BGP router-ID being the same for different VRFs and issues arising from this, but can neither remember the details nor find the reference.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions and sorry for my delayed response.

I will definitely consider option B as suggested by you, for the time being I have already implemented the previous option and it is looking good so far. The plan is to migrate to option B as we scale further.

Thanking you once again for your helpful comments.

Cheers

~sultan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: