Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange ping replay

rvr_76bg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I am getting very strange ping replay exactly : !.!.! A port on 2960 Switch is connected to voice board (PBX). When I ping the PBX from the switch I am getting the replay above, but I dont have any problem with the network connectivity. Is this an issue with Duplex settings on the switch port?? The switchport is configured on 100 Mb and Full duplex. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

rvr

4 Replies 4

mheusing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Can you send more packets with the ping? If the pattern remains !.!.!. then a first guess would be that there are two pathes where one path works and the second does not.

Packets can be lost while sending echo request or while waiting for an answer (echo reply).

Without a more detailed knowledge about the exact topology unfortunately an answer is close to impossible.

Regards,

Martin

Hello again,

Here is the output from ping command:

xxxxxx#ping

Protocol [ip]:

Target IP address: 192.x.x.x

Repeat count [5]: 20

Datagram size [100]:

Timeout in seconds [2]:

Extended commands [n]:

Sweep range of sizes [n]:

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 20, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.x.x.x, timeout is 2 seconds:

!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.

Success rate is 50 percent (10/20), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/1 ms

What else would you like to know to be able to give me more specific answer. Thank you.

rvr

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We saw this type thing when going to a an Avaya PBX and its an issue on the Avaya side . I would also check that speed and duplex settings match exactly on both sides though.

Thank you, that's enough for me. Thank you once again.

rvr

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card