Views
Helpful
Replies

problem booting sup32 6513

brandon00
Level 1
Level 1

Here's my problem:

I have a sup32 running in a 6513 switch running in native mode. My boot var is set to BOOT=sup-bootdisk:s3223-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF8.bin and my config register is 0x02102.

When I reload the switch autoboot tries to open the image with this statement “boot bootdisk: s3223-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF8.bin” but fails with an error stating

open(): Open Error = -13

loadprog: error - on file open

From there it goes directly into rommon. From rommon if I issue the exact same statement “boot bootdisk: s3223-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF8.bin” it works fine and loads the image. Also if I change the BOOT variable to BOOT= s3223-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF8.bin leaving out the bootdisk part and reload it works as well.

I just can't seem to understand why autoboot has a problem with the bootdisk: portion of the command. Rommon can read from bootdisk: just fine.

4 Replies 4

FiLeinster
Level 1
Level 1

In your second instance of the statement there is a space; check that doesn't exist.

I have also seen strange problems on 6500s where once you have the system booted and looked at the boot variables everything was fine. However, if you boot to rommon and look at the variables there they are completely different. I set the variables from rommon, rebooted and everything worked, even after a reset. Unfortunately I ddn't have time to investigate the problem as they were new switches that needed to be in production ASAP. So unfortunately I don't know why that happened, but it would seem there are two palces for the boot variables on the 6500 platform!!!!!

If anyone can explain this, then I would be very greatful!!

Thanks for the reply

After several reload and reset commands I ended up powering the switch down and then back on. After I did that the autoboot statement worked. Go figure. But that still doesn't explain why it wouldn't work when I issued the reset command from rommon.

Glad to hear you got sorted.

I discovered the boot variables are set both on the Sup and the MSFC wwhich can explain the discrepancy. The following link it related to your problem, but not the same. It sheds a bit of light on it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a00803e5282.shtml

Hi,

I should have found this thread earlier..

Anyway, not sure if this was a bug or not.. but even though my config register was set to 0x2102, after each reload/ cold boot it was going into rommon. did a lot of looking and found FiLeinster post with the url.

In the end it was just re-applying the config-register.

6506-MSFC2A#

6506-MSFC2A#remote command switch show bootvar

BOOT variable = bootdisk:s3223-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI.bin,12;

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Configuration register is 0x0

6506-MSFC2A#

6506-MSFC2A#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

6506-MSFC2A(config)#confre

6506-MSFC2A(config)#config-re

6506-MSFC2A(config)#config-register 0x2102

6506-MSFC2A(config)#^Z

6506-MSFC2A#

6506-MSFC2A#

6506-MSFC2A#

19:04:00: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by consoleremote command switch show bootvar

BOOT variable = bootdisk:s3223-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI.bin,12;

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Configuration register is 0x0 (will be 0x2102 at next reload)

6506-MSFC2A#

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card