cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What does it take to go Multi-Mode to Single Mode fiber?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, imagine I have 6509 and 3750's currently with GLC-SX-MM SFP's.

Initially I was planning to deploy Data Center-6509>--1000ft--[ MDF-6509-]---400 ft IDF's.

Then I thought about eliminating the switches on MDF and save money.

Given the distances to some IDF's will be more than 500m, I would deploy Single Mode fiber all the way from the Data Center to IDF's.

Question:

a) If I deploy Single Mode fiber, in addition to adjust the SFPs to long-haul ones, do I need to change anything on my core 6509 and IDF 3750's to handle the single mode fiber?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello Marlon,

in my customer networks shorter links use MM fibers and longer links use SM fibers.

In your case saving the money of the devices you don't need to deploy is a good idea.

>> I was told that single mode deployment it is hard to test

From a mechanical point of view SM fiber cables are not weaker then MM fiber cables.

May be optical TDR instruments for SM fibers are more expensive.

But they exist:

http://www.tequipment.net/TektronixTFP2A.html

>> n IDF only at 100 meters but using Single Mode. Is that a problem?

No, I have used also 3 meters SM fibers with no problems in lab setups.

Sometimes you may need an 5dB or 10 dB attenuators with ZX GBICs that are for very long reach not with LH.

The useful advice is to use two SFPs of the same brand at the two ends of the link.

>> Tell me, why people are no simply doing Single Mode this days instead of MM?

It is probably an habit.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Single mode is predominant in carrier facilites and DWDM. All our OC-x and DWDM based services are SM. Our experience is that is is better at distances, and higher bandwidths.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marlon,

OSI Layer1 is managed by GBIC or SFP and you don't need and actually there isn't any command to set single mode or multi mode.

An electric signal is sent and received to the optical module providing media indipendency at the port level.

If you insert the correct SFP type that support SM fiber on both ends of each link your job is done

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Darn. Thanks.

Tell me, why people are no simply doing Single Mode this days instead of MM?

I the GBIC for MM is $500. The GBIC for SM is $1,000. Fiber cost is actually cheaper for SM.

In my case, I would save money with switches in the MDF, so it is worthed

I was told that single mode deployment it is hard to test.

Any other issue I should be aware of? Have you seen people actually deploying SM in large scale these days? To keep it consistent, I would deploy SM all over the place from MDF to IDF's. So that means I may have an IDF only at 100 meters but using Single Mode. Is that a problem?

Hello Marlon,

in my customer networks shorter links use MM fibers and longer links use SM fibers.

In your case saving the money of the devices you don't need to deploy is a good idea.

>> I was told that single mode deployment it is hard to test

From a mechanical point of view SM fiber cables are not weaker then MM fiber cables.

May be optical TDR instruments for SM fibers are more expensive.

But they exist:

http://www.tequipment.net/TektronixTFP2A.html

>> n IDF only at 100 meters but using Single Mode. Is that a problem?

No, I have used also 3 meters SM fibers with no problems in lab setups.

Sometimes you may need an 5dB or 10 dB attenuators with ZX GBICs that are for very long reach not with LH.

The useful advice is to use two SFPs of the same brand at the two ends of the link.

>> Tell me, why people are no simply doing Single Mode this days instead of MM?

It is probably an habit.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Single mode is predominant in carrier facilites and DWDM. All our OC-x and DWDM based services are SM. Our experience is that is is better at distances, and higher bandwidths.

You guys are rocking. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: