Views
Helpful
Replies

Difficulties with Rejected IP Address and Netmask

jason.s.wallace
Level 1
Level 1

Friends,

I am configuring a Cisco 2610 (IOS 12.2, WIC-1DSU-T1) to operate with AT&T via a T1 for internet service. The IP address and netmask they provided are rejected by the 2610 via terminal and by ConfigMaker 2.6. According to my understanding of subnetting, the IP address they provided is a subnet address, not a valid host address. And, the address they say their router is on is the broadcast address for the previous subnet.

Can someone provide me with direction - Or better - a config file to make this work? Am I wrong about some instance?

Below are the specs they provided, NOTE: the IP addresses have been changed but I crafted them to suffer the same problem.

Customer Serial IP Address:

26.176.172.204 (a subnet address, not a host address?)

AT&T Router IP Address:

26.176.172.203 (a broadcast address for the previous subnet?)

Subnet Mask:

LAN Information:

LAN Block:

192.168.1.0/24

LAN/Ethernet/Gateway IP Address:

Broad Cast IP Address:

Subnet Mask:

Configuration:

Speed:

T1

Line Coding / Framing:

ESF/B8ZS

Serial Encapsulation:

PPP

Timing:

Net/Line

Routing Protocol:

Static

Port Base Rate (per Channel):

Channels:

1-24

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are correct. You must contact AT&T and have them verify the information once again. Perhaps the subnet mask is /29 instead of /30.

The only way to find out is by contacting them.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are correct. You must contact AT&T and have them verify the information once again. Perhaps the subnet mask is /29 instead of /30.

The only way to find out is by contacting them.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison,

Thank you very much. It was AT&T's problem, as you stated. [Solved]

Jason

Jason

If Edison correctly identified the problem and pointed you toward the solution, it would be appropriate for you to use the rating system: mark the check box to indicate that your problem is resolved, and then mark points to indicate the correct solution. This helps people who are using the forum to identify posts that have led to the solution of problems.

[edit] Jason - thank you for following my suggestion.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco