cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip sla triggering

mmedwid
Level 3
Level 3

I am running 12.4(11)XW8 IOS and using "ip sla" ICMP echo and tracking to make routing decisions about Internet traffic. I want there to be at least two failed pings in a row before a FAIL state triggers a change in default route. This seemed more obvious in some earlier versions of ip sla and tracking. How is this accomplished currently? Thank-you.

3 Replies 3

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

Object tracking of IP SLAs operations allows tracking clients to track the output from IP SLAs objects and use the provided information to trigger an action.

Cisco IOS IP SLAs is a network performance measurement and diagnostics tool that uses active monitoring. Active monitoring is the generation of traffic in a reliable and predictable manner to measure network performance. Cisco IOS software uses IP SLAs to collect real-time metrics such as response time, network resource availability, application performance, jitter (interpacket delay variance), connect time, throughput, and packet loss.

Thanks for the reply. What I am trying to find out is how to fine tune an ICMP echo type IP SLA. That is - I want it to fail more than once to give a failed reading. Thoughts on that?

There are options to configure triggers for "an event only after a violation occurs a specified number of times consecutively. For example, the consecutive violation type could be used to configure an action to occur after a timeout occurs 5 times in a row, or when the round-trip-time exceeds the upper threshold value 5 times in a row. "

See

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/ip_sla/configuration/guide/hsthresh.html#wp1082308

I must say I have no experience with it myself.

HTH, Thomas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card