cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy on 6509's, one router. Please opine.

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, can you assist me with this?

I have (2) 6509's. One supervisor each. HSRP will be configured and 6509A will be the active one.

That said, in case 6509A fails, I am trying to determine the best way for 6509B to get to the router. Is that iBGP a good idea for this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marlon ,

If you are looking to run only HSRP , then add a default route on both the 6500 pointing to the router inside interface.

When 6500A is up the traffic will use its default route and when its down default route for 6500B will be used.

You could also use static route if you are sure whats needs to go out of network.

Chao

Vishwa

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Here is the diagram.

Marlon ,

If you are looking to run only HSRP , then add a default route on both the 6500 pointing to the router inside interface.

When 6500A is up the traffic will use its default route and when its down default route for 6500B will be used.

You could also use static route if you are sure whats needs to go out of network.

Chao

Vishwa

Vishwa, it sounds the idea of default route in this case sounds like a simple and good idea to solve this to me.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marlon

This is a fairly standard setup. The way i would recommend is to make the links between your 6500 switches and your 3845 router L3 point-to-point links and then run a dynamic routing protocol between the router and the 6500 switches - OPSF or EIGRP.

The 6500 switches will see 2 equal cost paths to all remote destinations and will use both links. If one of the links fails then all traffic will be directed over the remaining link.

Jon

Small deviation from what Jon said,

based on the topology the 6500 will certainly have 2 paths to reach the destination but will not be equal cost paths

Narayan

Narayan

Long time no speak :) Hope your'e well, how's the multicast study going ?

Okay you've got me beat on this. Why would they not be equal cost paths to destinations on the WAN. Each 6500 has a routed connection to the 3845 which i'm assuming is running at the same speed ?

Jon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What's confusing is I see your 6500s and 3845 all share the same IP subnet and you want to activate HSRP on the 6500s and this subnet.

Normally, HSRP is used to provide a virtual gateway to hosts and not used for inter-router communication. Inter-routing communication is usually serviced by routing.

I also notice the 3845 appears to have two interfaces active, one to each 6500, but only one IP address?

Lastly, I notice you're using a /8 subnet?

Could you clarify what you're trying to accomplish?

Just ignore the IP addressing. I am trying to setup this in a lab first to play with it.

Then 3845 IP=? I was just trying to figure out the IP address.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card