cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to record a prompt with good quality

regi_firnanda
Level 1
Level 1

I usually record prompt (wav files) using Windows Sound Recorder. But I found that the quality is not very good.

So, I tried to save the wav file using the default Sound Recorder format (PCM , 44.100kHz,16 bit, Stereo) first to make sure that it's not the microphone or the environment that caused the poor quality. And the result is good.

Then, I converted the file to the format that is supported by IPCC (CCITT u-law,8.000kHz,8bit Mono). I know that the sound quality should decrease. But I'm not sure that it supposed to be as low as the result I'm getting. There are noticeable kind-of-buzzing sound on the spoken message.

So could anybody tell me what I can do to improve the quality ? What software do most people used ?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

mikram
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I use Sound Forge as it gives good quality of sound and you can edit the wav file also. Worth while looking at COOL Edit also.

If your budget permits, you can always ask third party professional to do the recording.

Cheers

Ikram

Hi Ikram,

Recently we got the voice prompts recorded by professional vendor:

bit rate:705Kpbs

audio sample:16 bit

Audio Sample Rate:44kHz

audio format PCM.

But when it was converted to Cisco format, the quality reduced drastically.

Will the quality be better if we ask them directly to record in Cisco format?

Thanks

Yes, the quality should be much better. Also, you might want to try Audacity to convert the prompts or maybe gold wave. Do not use windows sound recorder to convert.

david

I think your format should be CCITT ulaw.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: